[ardour-users] CCRMA vs. AGNULA

gerard van dongen gml at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 5 13:55:30 PDT 2005

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:50:52 +0200, Esben Stien <b0ef at esben-stien.name>
wrote:

> Build your own distro of GNU/Linux:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org
>
> If you're into learning you'll have no problem going this way.

It's what I do. But this is not user friendly (especially if you want to
understand what the instructions actually do) and it takes time. A lot of
time. At least a couple of days to get everything you need, assuming you
allready know what you need, and have a broadband internet connection.
Gentoo at leasts automates the build and install process.

To get an audio workstation going, I have installed around 160 additional
source packages, besides the ones needed to get the system bootable. So if
you go the real fundamental route and want to build _everything_ install a
source-package manager as the first thing after the basic setup.
Actually for real bleeding edge work, it is a good idea to install through
a source package manager.
F.i. paco http://paco.sourceforge.net