[ardour-users] CCRMA vs. AGNULA

Rhythm King Drums jwsmith at rhythmkingdrums.com
Tue Apr 5 11:10:07 PDT 2005

I have never used CCRMA or AGNULA.
I use Slackware and I like it.
I do not reccomend it for beginners, but expecting a beginner to
successfully compile and set up a DAW running Jack and Ardour is pushing
it.
The apt system is a great way to install binary packages.
This is the best way for a newbie.
Slackware can use a system called slapt-get from audioslack.com
The website keeps track of all the audio and slackware packages and very
smartly installs them on your system including low latency kernals.
Red hat and some others use apt to do the same thing.
I would say choose a distro with the apt system of getting and
installing all the needed software as opposed to trying to compile it
yourself.
Hopefully all the distros and the respective CVS sites will become more
intuitive in the near future.
As the programs are updated the apt system provides an easy way for you
to upgrade your entire system.
I also use the fluxbox window manager as it is way faster than KDE.