[ardour-users] CCRMA vs. AGNULA

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Apr 5 04:46:49 PDT 2005

I found RedHat/Fedora to be *very* bloated with stuff that is not
necessary for running a DAW. The difference of startup times alone
between RedHat/Fedora and Gentoo or Debian is staggering, so I can image
that the OS itself probably sucks up a lot of resources. Of course,
running "ps aux" and looking at the number of active processes also
gives you a clue. RedHat/Fedora has up to three times as many things
running in the background!!!

Even with Fluxbox, which is *extremely* light, it still took several
minutes for the desktop to come up on my old 1 GHz Athlon machine. The
lag was also quite noticable on a 1.6 GHz P4 laptop. Both of these
machines startup right away with Gentoo now.

CCRMA's documentation, OTOH, is very good. If you want an "easy
install", I'd say go with AGNULA but read as much of the CCRMA docs as
you can as far as system configuration goes. I've got an AGNULA install
document here if you are curious:

http://umatic.nl/workshop/demudi_install.txt

I personally use Gentoo, as it has most all the audio apps in AGNULA or
CCRMA also in Portage, as well as kernels with LowLatency and other
stuff as options. But if you're not comfortable compiling kernels,
Gentoo will not shine in terms of audio performance. Better to go with a
binary distro in that case.

best,
derek

--