[ardour-users] Re: Xrun - Aaarrrgghhh!!

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 17:55:48 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:48:17 -0300, Alexander wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> [ sorry for my english, i'm brazilian ]
>
> I have one Debian with 2.6.8 kernel, Atlhon 2.2, 256MB RAM and HD with 40GB.
>
> Hard disk have 50MB/sec of transfer rate.
>
> Jackd is 0.98.8
>
> And I have a LOT of xruns!!!!
>
> Somebody tell me about one patch. But I don't have any idea if it's realy necessary or where can I find this patch and how configure options of this patch.
>
> Somebody can help me???!!!!
>
> Wath's happen with jackd?!
>
> In kernel 2.4 is all fine!
>
> Now I have one big problem because tomorrow I need record some songs of pupils in school!! And I don't have machines with 2.4 kernel.
>
> And it's impossible record with that xruns!
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Alexander Franca
> Brazil - Rio de Janeiro

Do you have an onboard Ac'97 sound card? I was getting near-constant xruns
with mine until I set the number of output channels specifically to 2
(rather than 4, the default)

Also, see what people have said about the threading problem with kernel
2.6 and the new glibc. The quick fix for this is to do

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.22

in the terminal window you start jack and all the clients from.

The long fix is to apply various patches to the kernel, glibc, and jackd,
which other posters know more about than I do.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.