[ardour-users] hardware question

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 22:10:10 PDT 2004

What are the things to look out for when building a linux audio system?

All it has to do is record from line in to disk and stream to icecast at
the same time. Maybe also mix in prerecorded tracks. Probably going to use
ardour to mix the audio and record with, and ices2-kh (the jack'ed ices2
version) to stream with.

I'm just thinking about which parts of the system are most important to
get right, where to spend the money if we can't find a secondhand/donated
machine and so on.

What I've heard is that usb external sound cards are better than internal
ones because there's less EM crosstalk - is this right, and are they much
more expensive?

Also are standard hard disks OK, or is it like video recording where you
should use specially designed disks (I'm guessing not because of the lower
data rate)

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.