[ardour-users] what is happening when ardour gets kicked by jackd?

Thu Sep 9 17:27:58 PDT 2004

Seeing as no one has answered yet I'll have ago. This is just my
assumption.

Basicly ardour takes to long to respond to Jack. Jack gets upset and
kicks ardour off.

Why Ardour takes too long respond is probably due to a bug in the kernel
realtime stuff.

For example for me ardour gets kicked off if I have network stuff
happening in the background such as email being fetched. On older 2.6
kernels I also got kicked off when the hard disk was used.

As to a solution, search the mailing lists for all the tips on getting
low latency and cross your fingers.

This might help.

http://www.affenbande.org/~tapas/linux-2.6.x-ll.html

Also 2.4 + ll works much better than 2.6 atm. But there is not much you
can do if your hardware needs 2.6.

As I say I don't really know the answer this is just a guess. Might be
better than nothing might not. (also make sure you are running jack with
the -R option)