[ardour-users] Analog Input level Monitoring for delta1010LT ?

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Tue Sep 7 02:28:07 PDT 2004

Jason Jones <j at poeticintensity.com>:

> Instead of getting an xrun per song now, I'm only getting one per
> every-other-song - but obviously, this is still unacceptable.  I

You didn't mention this in your initial mail: Do you run jackd with
realtime capabilities? Is your kernel patched for low latency? If not
forget *all* of your xrun symptoms and try that.

> changed my periods to 2048, and my recording rate to 44.1K - (I tried
> setting it to 4096, but when I tried to start jack, it told me alsa
> wouldn't allow a period with that setting...  Is that normal?)  I had

Alsa drivers reflect -- in the best case -- the hardware's limitations
including buffersize limits.

> The only thing I can think of to get rid of the xruns is to start
> removing hardware (like my wireless NIC... maybe my second video
> card, although that one would hurt.  I use the full screen of both
> screens...

Before doing that it would make sense to google for "pci latency" and
read http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

> :-(  )...  Maybe start removing processes which are running...  I've

The recent discussion of lighweight windowmanagers was misleading. If
you run jackd with realtime capabilities on a low lat kernel you can
run KDE, watch flashs and abuse openoffice while ardour is happily
playing out 20 tracks. Things might be sluggish but there will be no
xruns.

btw: Could you try to start new threads for new questions?

Wolfgang