[ardour-users] ardour doesn't find libjack.so.0, exits.

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Mon Oct 25 11:57:05 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 20:06, Damien DeZurik wrote:
> In regards to this comment:
>
> > ... Consider why the library ended
> > up in /usr/local vs. /usr. Consider what will happen
> > if you use a
> > differenct, more standard ./configure --prefix=/usr
> > later on.
>
>  Perhaps in different distros/shops/circles the answer
> to this question is different but I will ask anyway;
> isn't /usr/local the best place to put third party,
> post-OS-install software?  You know, somewhere common
> to put all that stuff you loaded yourself so it can be
> backed up, and restored easily if, for example, major
> system/OS changes need to occur.

The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

There was also something I read once (IIRC) about how some systems had
/usr which was read-only (from tape, or some other boot medium) and
/usr/local was to install other software. Since none of the GNU apps
would have been part of the vendor's packaging, they still default to
/usr/local.

>  Please feel free to set me straight on this, but ...

>  I feel that I have the jack libs in a good place but
> ardour doesn't want to look there (by default).  For
> the record, with both jack and ardour I did not add
> any '--prefix=...' options.  I ./configure'd them with
> what ever default prefix's they determined.
>
> My contention would be that both libjack and ardour
> should be configured and installed so that they exist
> in, and use each others libs from /usr/local. Is this
> crazy talk?

I have my audio stuff in /opt/sound for some reason that I've since
forgotten. The only trouble I find is that several tarballs, even though
they read jack.pc, still insist on forgetting to look in
/opt/sound/include for jack headers. OTOH, when I changed distros about
a year ago, I didn't have to reinstall all the audio stuff - it was just
a straight copy. Reinstallation of the audio software, being in serious
flux & cvs, would have been non-trivial.

Seems like most distros like to put everything in /usr though. And if
your distro provides you with easy install mechanisms that are as close
enough to the cutting edge as you'd like to be, no harm leaving them
there.

bye
John