[ardour-users] ardour doesn't find libjack.so.0, exits.

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Oct 25 11:43:57 PDT 2004

Damien DeZurik <ddezurik at yahoo.com> writes:

> In regards to this comment:
>
> > ... Consider why the library ended up in /usr/local
> > vs. /usr. Consider what will happen if you use a differenct, more
> > standard ./configure --prefix=/usr later on.
>
>  Perhaps in different distros/shops/circles the answer
> to this question is different but I will ask anyway;
> isn't /usr/local the best place to put third party,
> post-OS-install software?  You know, somewhere common
> to put all that stuff you loaded yourself so it can be
> backed up, and restored easily if, for example, major
> system/OS changes need to occur.
>
>  Please feel free to set me straight on this, but ...
>
>  I feel that I have the jack libs in a good place but
> ardour doesn't want to look there (by default).  For
> the record, with both jack and ardour I did not add
> any '--prefix=...' options.  I ./configure'd them with
> what ever default prefix's they determined.
>
>  My contention would be that both libjack and ardour
> should be configured and installed so that they exist
> in, and use each others libs from /usr/local. Is this
> crazy talk?

Not crazy.  That is the traditional purpose of /usr/local.

For that to work right you need to update /etc/ld.so.conf,
/etc/manpath.config, and maybe a few other things including some
environment variables like PKG_CONFIG_PATH and ACLOCAL_FLAGS.

Mark is right to warn about potential problems, however.  The main
pitfall I've seen is people installing two copies of libjack, one in
/usr from their distribution and one in /usr/local built from source.
This does not work and causes much confusion.

In general, it is hard to reconcile packages built from source with
those installed via rpm, apt-get, emerge, etc.  This is especially
true for libraries on which other packages depend.

There can be problems either way.  FWIW, I use /usr/local but manage
it with the GNU `stow' utility.

Your Mileage May Vary.  ;-)
--
  joq