[ardour-users] Re: [ardour-dev] Problem opening a session... any way to salvage it?

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 17 06:32:32 PDT 2004

R Parker wrote:

> Have you resolve this? If not, my strategy would be to
> backup the session and remove all references to this
> from the sessionname.xml file. I imagine you can
> figure out which .wav file is associate with that ID
> and then add it back into the file after you get it to
> open again.

No I didn't resolve it yet.

Now when you say "sessionname.xml" are you talking about the
"sessionname.ardour" file?  Or is there some other file?  In the directory where
this session is, I have the sessionname.ardour file, Instant.xml, and a couple
of directories for sounds, automation, etc. that we're all familiar with.  Just
trying to get clear about which file...

because I did open the sessionname.ardour file in a text editor, did a search
for the number reported in the error msg., found it referred to in a couple of
Region sections and removed from <Region= to </Region> where those were
contained.  It still wouldn't open the file, just gives the error:

[ERROR]: Session "/d/fred/you are holy (snapshot you are holy)" did not load
successfully

So I guess I need to cleanse the .ardour file a little better, or just go
through it and rebuild it?  Is there any documentation on this?

Thx...

I'm going to go mess with it some more this morning and see if I can't fix it
entirely.