[ardour-users] making Athlon XP a dual Athlon MP for linux audio purposes?

gerard van dongen gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 13 07:47:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:22:29 +0200, Piotr Sawicki <pelle at plusnet.pl> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody tried to link the L5 bridge on the Athlon XP to work as a
> dual Athlon MP for using linux audio?

It is what I am running at the moment.
You need a really fine brush, but other than that is is easy.
The easiest is to get a thoroughbread core athlon-XP because they have the
266MHZ frontside bus.
The Bartons, which would be better because of the bigger cache, have a
higher frontside bus speed and need additional modding.
It can be done, but I havent tried it. A athlon xp2400+ TB core is only
about 90 euros so I thought it worth the risk.
So far it has been working very well and the system is stable.

Only once a month or so, they are not recognized as MP's on boot, but an
immediate reboot fixes this. I probably didn't clean the contacts well
enough, so there are some tiny cracks that close up as the cpu heats up. I
think.

Anyway, I got my motherboard  + the 2 cpu's (at 2GHz each) for less than
300 euro's, so I am happy with my bang for buck.

Gerard

PS backing up your data, even on a certified production machine is always
a good idea :)