[ardour-users] Unable to add more tracks

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Mon Oct 11 06:13:45 PDT 2004

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>    I have a very modest session with 9 stereo tracks. When I attempt
> to add a 10th track I get the following messages:
>
> [ERROR]: IO: cannot register input port Audio 10/in 1
> [ERROR]: cannot configure 2 in/2 out configuration for new audio
> track
>
> and then Ardour adds a mono track.

Try increasing the -p value given to jackd (not the -p given to the
alsa backend), that's "Port Maximum" and shows up on qjackctl's setup
page.

> Why does it do this?

Jesse suggested this when I had trouble connecting clients to jack
and/or adding tracks in ardour which is basically the same thing. This
came up only when I started jackd with capabilities enabled on a lowlat
kernel.

Wolfgang