[ardour-users] absolute minimum system for Ardour

Daniel G. Epstein dgepstein at pobox.com
Tue Nov 2 08:06:52 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 09:34:48AM -0600, Josh Karnes wrote:

> "what are suggestions for applications I can use on a P2/266 laptop to
> record cd-quality audio"?

I'd say that ecasound <http://www.eca.cx/> probably is the best option
for this.  I used it for some time with a 2-something MHz Celeron
with 128 MB RAM, and an M-Audio Delta-66.  I found that with some
streamlining of the system (kill X, the network interface, firewall,
sshd, etc.) I could not only capture two 44.1/16 tracks, but also
simultaneously monitor a mix of a couple of previously recorded
tracks--and this was before I figured out how to get jack working
properly.

It also actually will support ladspa plugins and has some other
interesting features.

Cheers,

Dan

--

A boast of "I have been's,"  | Daniel G. Epstein
quoted from foolscap tomes,  |

GnuPG public keys available from http://pgp.mit.edu/