[ardour-users] Hardware for Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu May 20 09:30:44 PDT 2004

Jørn Villesen Christensen wrote:
> Hi Marcus
>
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:14:35 -0400 (EDT), Marcus Alessi Bittencourt
> <alessi at roar.music.columbia.edu> wrote:
>
>>> So what you are saying, is that i would either have to a) Give up my
>>> favorite OS and install M$ Windows? or b) Give up the idea of a portable
>>> studio and buy a desktop?
>>>
>>> ~Jørn
>>

>>     I have some info for you regarding USB audio. I have just been
>> making experiments with a USB edirol UA-5 on a toshiba laptop with redhat
>> 9 and a 2.4.22-ll kernel. It is stereo, nonetheless it works beautifully,
>> and the configuration was a breeze, to the extent that I can even work
>> simultaneously with the built-in soundcard. It surprised me because i
>> have heard so many bad things about USB audio.
>>     Now, I am actually looking into the edirol UA1000, and I am
>> curious if it would work just as well. I'd be interested in any findings
>> you may discover.
>

> That sounds good... gives hope :-)
>
> What drivers did you use?
> Did the midi interface work?
> What latency did it produce?

USB latency is pretty lame. At best you can get down to 480 bits at
48Khz without dropouts.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM