[ardour-users] What kernel are you running?

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Tue Mar 16 15:55:13 PST 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 10:01 am, Nathan Funk wrote:

> I recently switched from a 2.4.22-gentoo-r2 kernel to the 2.6.4-mm1. It
> supposedly is specially tuned for multimedia and desktop applications. I
> barely noticed any difference. Having Alsa in the kernel is nice, but no
> major benefit. Reduced latency on the desktop (KDE 3.2) was barely
> noticable. And I ran into semi-random freezes. For example when I
> started qjackctl the system froze, and I also had to other complete
> freezes possibly related to audio.

I've been running 2.6.3 for a while, straight gentoo-dev-sources, not the
sys-kernel/mm-sources.  I was running 2.4.20-gaming
(sys-kernel/gaming-sources) before.  Ardour's performance is neither better
nor worse on my laptop or my desktop.  I can run it reliably all the time
with 5.8 ms latency, and only get occasionally xrun when I run it at 2.9 ms
latency.

I've been happy with the 2.6 series so far.  DMA transfer for CD/DVD burners
(finally!), X feels snappier (had to turn down my mouse acceleration), my
compile times have gone down some (better disk scheduler?), and better ACPI
support on my laptop.  I don't have any negative things to say about 2.6 so
far.

---
Geoffrey