[ardour-users] hard drive speed

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Mar 11 17:08:47 PST 2004

Djamel Ouerdane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to get a new computer. I read on ardour's webpage that a hard
> disk
> of at least 7200 rpm is required. Unfortunately, for some reasons, I
> could only get
> a disk of 4200 rpm.  Would it be a good idea to buy a faster external
> hard drive and use
> the USB 2  port for data transfer ?? I don't know much about all these
> things and I don't
> want to wait for an upgrade of my system (a Dell Latitude notebook).
> Thanks for any info.

You should be ok with a 4200 rpm notebook drive. Just don't expect
massive amounts of recordable tracks at one time.

If you tune the system right you should be able to get 30 - 50 streams
playback.

The main factor is the throughput latency. New notebook drives are
pretty good for that these days.

If you have troubles then the usb external will probably work better.
Firewire even more so.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM