[ardour-users] TAP Dynamics question - not directly ardour related

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 18 08:26:06 PDT 2004

Hi-

I tried sending mail directly to Tom on this topic, but the mail bounces.  So
Tom, this is for you--

Working on developing some new functions for TAP Dynamics to do optical
compression emulation, and I had a couple of questions:

1.  is the "offset gain" control really a threshold control in disguise?  I
mean, does it have pretty much exactly the same effect as threshold?

1a.  If the answer to #1 is "yes", then would it make sense to call it
"threshold", make the default (0.000 position) "-6dB", and then just make every
"function" definition run at -6dB, thus eliminating "threshold" from the
function def's?  This way "function" control would just select ratio, type of
dynamics effect, and not threshold (since it's externally controllable)

2.  What is the max for NUM_MODES ?

You can email me directly if you would like to discuss, but I tried the
sourceforge address and also the address you use on the ardour list and they
both bounce.  As you can probably tell, I am considering building a new
compressor plugin based on yours.

--
Josh Karnes

http://www.krashjones.com