[ardour-users] Machine configurations

Ctirad Fertr phanatic at volny.cz
Sun Feb 29 13:36:21 PST 2004

> I have a Gigabyte motherboard with a Via KT400 chip set (Athlon 2200+
> and 1GB of DDR333 RAM), and I've tried for 8 months to make it play
> audio reliably without skips and have failed.  It can't even play an mp3
> or ogg with XMMS without skipping horribly when I open new windows or
> move large ones--it will sometimes pause for as much as two or three
> seconds.

Your system is most probably misconfigured. I have had smooth mp3 playback
even on a 486DX5 at 133MHz  with AWE64 card several years ago.

Try to boot some linux LiveCD (Knoppix, SlaX or so) a test if the problem
exists also there.

> Anyway, just thought I'd point out that things aren't perfect in
> Via-land.  At least not in my experience.  At the very least I would
> avoid this specific board (Gigabyte 7VAXP Ultra) for anything that
> requires sound.

I assembled several computers based on KT400 and KT600 Gigabyte boards. On the
KT600 there was a problem with onboard sondcard, but with PCI soundcard it
worked like a charm.

---
Ctirad