[ardour-users] Machine configurations

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Feb 27 07:46:51 PST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, James Coates wrote:

> On Friday 27 Feb 2004 7:49 am, Robert Jonsson wrote:
>
> > could you elaborate on your findings and why you think the motherboard is
> > the perpetrator?
>
> The machine has problems, even when installing Mandrake from the DVD.
>
> Originally, I wondered whether this was chance but I've installed 9.2 from DVD
> on other machines without the problem manifesting itself. The machine was
> dying during heavy I/O operations - high disc, network activity - so this
> came about both whilst the drive was being formatted in install and when
> attempting to copy the backup of its disc across the network.
>
> Some Googling and a complete lack of hardware understanding later, I discover
> many postings to alt.os.linux.mandrake and the Mandrake Club forums with
> people complaining of similar symptoms with this motherboard.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=a7n8x+deluxe+mandrake+9.2

I think this goes for the nforce2 boards running on at 2.4.22 or newer.
The solution is to turn off local apic. You can either to do that
by turning off local apic before compiling the kernel, or you
can use the "nolapic" kernel option found in 2.4.23 and newer.
(Perhaps you don't need to turn off local apic with the latest
kernel, don't know, but at least for 2.4.22/2.4.23/2.4.24/2.6.1)