[Ardour-users] WAV files, xruns

Anthony DiSante orders at nodivisions.com
Sat Feb 21 15:18:55 PST 2004

Lawrie Abbott wrote:
>> Ah.  OK, then it turns out that if I specify -C (capture only), jackd
>> still won't let me specify a period below 512.  But if I specify -P
>> (playback only), then it will let me use a period as low as 32.  So
>> for playback, I _can_ get latency as low as <2ms (=2*32/48kHz), but
>> for recording, the lowest I can go is 11ms (=512/48kHz).
>>
>> So what numbers does everyone else get?  Is 11ms "good enough" for
>> recording, say, 8 tracks without problems?  (Not that my current
>> hardware supports that, but I do plan on getting something like a
>> 1010LT sometime.)
>>

> I'm confused by your numbers. I think most people probably are reading
> their latency figures straight from Qjackctls interface (GUI).
> Acceptable latency is whatever the musician can handle. Check out
> http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/lola_lomo.htm  for good
> background  info.

good to know  : )
<intalls qjackctl....>

Thanks all, for your knowledge and advice.  One more latency question: in my
BIOS, I can set the PCI latency.  It's set to 32 by default; I set it to 64
a while ago, I think in an attempt to fix some video card / TV-capture
related issue.  How does that number tie into the jack/ardour latency situation?

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/