[Ardour-users] WAV files, xruns

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Feb 21 06:08:10 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 07:35, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> This is impossible to answer, technically the delay imposed does not matter.
> The recordings you make will not "wander", the 11ms are fixed. I record quite
> oftenly at 512*2, though 256*2 is more comfortable.
>
> I'm not sure if ardour supports latency compensation (yet) during recording,
> if it does then I guess it's possible that subsequent recordings are not
> correctly aligned to the former?

	Ardour does do latency compensation (or maybe it's JACK - anyway, it
works).

> What happens that might be a problem is if you are listening to your own
> "take" through ardour, while you are playing. Then what you are listening to
> will be delayed 11ms + 11ms which definitely is noticeable and might be a
> problem.

	Just buy a card with hardware monitoring (any of the ice1712/envy24
cards - 1010, 1010LT, DSP-2000 C-Port, EWS88MT, Delta 66, Delta 44...).
Then you can set to 2048 when recording and get no delay in hearing what
you are recording/playing versus what Ardour is playing.  I do this all
the time with my DSP2000.

Jan