[Ardour-users] WAV files, xruns

Anthony DiSante orders at nodivisions.com
Sat Feb 21 03:28:19 PST 2004

Robert Jonsson wrote:
>>OK, I'm a knucklehead.  I only started using the --realtime option when I
>>started using the -p option (I didn't know about --realtime before that).
>>When I use --realtime, I can use a period as low as 512 without xruns.
>>(And jackd actually gives me an error and quits if I try to set it lower
>>than that.)
>

> Atleast for SB-Live the alsa driver does not permit using buffers smaller than
> 512 samples if you run full duplex (can be much smaller if you specify only
> playback or only record) Presumably this limitation is there in the Audigy
> driver too. (And it _is_ a driver limitiation, not hardware)

Ah.  OK, then it turns out that if I specify -C (capture only), jackd still
won't let me specify a period below 512.  But if I specify -P (playback
only), then it will let me use a period as low as 32.  So for playback, I
_can_ get latency as low as <2ms (=2*32/48kHz), but for recording, the
lowest I can go is 11ms (=512/48kHz).

So what numbers does everyone else get?  Is 11ms "good enough" for
recording, say, 8 tracks without problems?  (Not that my current hardware
supports that, but I do plan on getting something like a 1010LT sometime.)

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/