[ardour-users] Ardour DAW - Hardware advice please..

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Dec 15 04:00:23 PST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:33:36 +0100
"Happyface" <happyface at happyface.dk> wrote:

> 2. Would I gain much performance in using some kind of RAID system for the harddrives ?

This is the only part of this I can really comment on:  no, you won't
get any performance boost from a RAID.  RAIDs help protect data, but
cannot write it any faster than with a single drive, and in some cases
a RAID will slow you down because it'll spread the data across multiple
drives, and there's overhead involved in doing so.

To protect my sessions, I have a process to rsync my /tape directory off
to my server at 4:00 AM nightly.  That's saved me at least once!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com