[ardour-users] Ardour DAW - Hardware advice please..

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Wed Dec 15 03:42:40 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 13:33, Happyface wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had some advice as how to build an Ardour
> DAW, who's able to handle 24 tracks at 44.1 KHz at a time, when
> recording.
> I've counted on something like dual Opteron processors, 1-2 GB RAM,
> and RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 sound card, and a Yamaha 01v-96 mixing
> console for frontend.
>
> But the things I can't figure out is :
>
> 1. What harddrives to choose ?

Stay away from Adaptec SCSI controllers. They (or their drivers) are
greedy about the PCI bus and cause xruns. I don't know about other SCSI
controllers though.

I have a couple of 16 track sessions that are fine with a Seagate
ST340014A IDE drive. Not that I'm recommending this for your setup, but
it should help to give you an idea.

bye
John