[ardour-users] fixed-position region copy/move ?

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 9 04:19:47 PST 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 03:04, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Hi all:
>
>   IIRC the Meta key is usually the Alt key, at least I think that's how
> Emacs has it. It's news to me that it would be the Windoze key. I'll
> have to test this in Ardour...
>
>   It didn't work. And using the Alt key + mouse-click just acts like it
> "ought", i.e., it moves the active window, which I believe is correct X
> behavior. What am I missing here ?

Welcome to the world of modifier keys :)
First emacs uses the term meta for the alt-key for historical reasons.
I think they call the window-key  "super", could be "hyper" though.

Second, under X you have three named modifiers, ctrl, alt and shift
and up to 5 unnamed modifiers that are called mod_1 to mod_5
Plus lock of course for capslock.
They are assigned to keysymbols using xkb, or xmodmap.
Keysymbols are the names that X attaches to the keycodes generated by your
keyboard.
Usually one of them is numlock,

Figuring out xkb is no fun. It is complicated, undocumented and feature rich
(did you know that shift-numlock will enable the numerical keypad to function
as a keyboard mouse?)

The officially deprecated xmodmap allows you to set custom key combinations
more easily.

usually the windoze key will generate the meta keysym.
In a very few situations it might be the hyper or the super keysym.
More commonly,the window manager use this as a modifier for window
manipulations, so the keyevent never reaches ardour.

So, to get this to work on ardour you need to know first what modifier ardour
expects to get for what it calls meta.
The default is mod2, but ardour changes this to another free modifier if it
detects numlock assigned to mod2.

Next you need to make sure that ardour gets this modifier. So you need to make
sure your windowmanager doesn't use mod2 or what ever ardour thinks meta
should be.
And if you want to use some keyshortcuts in your windowmanager you also need
to figure out what physical key to assign that to.

What I have done is to set the left windows key to mod_2 and the right windows
key to mod_3. And have my window manager look for mod_3.
Of course now xemacs complains, because it tries to be too smart :)

Of course if you ever grok xkb, you can switch different keyboard layouts with
some keycombo, and assign long combination to a single key.
And then tell me how you did it :)
I did get to the point where I could simulate a mouse wheel using the
keyboard, but couldn't decide what keys to assign it to.
I am thinking of getting a japanese keyboard, because the have 2 or 3 extra
modifier keys.

best

Gerard

electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml