[ardour-users] disappearing meters & plugins

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 08:33:56 PST 2004

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:18:48 -0500, Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   I built and installed the nightly CVS tarball from two days ago. When
> I opened the session for "Talkin bout the Weather" I discovered that all
> my plugins had disappeared and that all the channel strip level meters
> were gone too. All my connections were wiped out. It's not the worst
> that can happen, I still have all the tracks and the display shows
> everything in order. I'm sure I can rebuild the session, but I'm having
> trouble restoring the connections. IIRC, Joe Hartly had a similar
> problem, but I didn't find a fix posted anywhere. If anyone has a good
> way to simply get this session back in shape, please advise. Like I
> said, it's not a critical issue, but I would like to rebuild the
> original layout if that's possible.
>
>   I suspect the new plugin code caught me...
>
>   Also, I'm still getting error messages when I try to send MTC (ye olde
> "quarter-frames not allowed" messages). I assume MTC Send is still on
> the drawing board ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Dave,
   I had this problem yesterday evening on a session. I was running
the tarball that I had downloaded on 11/29. I had jsut a coupl eof
plugins, one on a track and the other on a bus. After saving and
recalling they were gone. Updating to yesterday's tarball solved that
problem for me.

   However, I also had a couple of other problems:

1) Sort of related to the missing plugin thing, I found that a number
of sends were either not able to hook up where I needed them to go or
the connections were missing after recalling the session. My tracks
were all stereo tracks. From each track I was making stereo send to a
bus that had a reverb unit on it. I found that some tracks would not
create the send correctly while other would. In some cases after
creating the send I could no longer pop up the send connection box. In
one special case where I had copied the send to another track the
copied send would not display VU meters.

2) Watch out bouncing (exporting) 24-bit stereo files. Bad noise. Make
sure your volumes are low. 16-bit was OK.

3) In my session the 'End' marker's position was not being saved. It
kept jumping back to an older position that it had occupied.

   Now, all of that is frustrating, but that said Ardour itself was
working very well. I was doing a reasonable amount of automation and
it was working. I am BEGGING for some sort of graphic marker at
automation inflection points though...

   Try updating. It helped me. This was all on my Planet box under
Gnome for simplicity.

- Mark