[ardour-users] A hundred tracks and counting...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Wed Aug 25 08:07:48 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 08:24, josh wrote:
> Well, I'm in full-swing recording a rock/pop record on Ardour. The
> system is running FC1 with the ccrma patched kernel, running as root for
> realtime, and I'm running fluxbox and Ardour with a M-Audio Delta 1010.
> The rest of the hardware is an AMD Athlon 1400+ with some motherboard
> that doesn't conflict with the sound hardware, coupla big hard disks and
> a DVD/CD burner. It's really a pretty generic system that was fast maybe
> 2-3 years ago.
>
> So... I've recorded basic tracks for about 13 songs (4-5 drum tracks,
> bass, scratch vocals and scratch guitars) amounting to about 100-150
> tracks for those basic tracks, many edited together versions using
> multiple takes and "punch-ins". Two songs are nearly complete with
> 20-30+ tracks including heavily doubled electric guitars, hand
> percussion, etc., and that number is growing every day. We're averaging
> about 1-3 takes for drum tracks, 8 takes or so for guitar & bass tracks,
> and one take on percussion and the like. So this is a pretty big track
> count including all of the overdubs, punch-ins and alternate takes. I
> expect to "complete" about 11 songs for this project (already putting
> one on the chopping block) and have an average of about 35 edited linear
> audio tracks per song.
>
> With Ardour I have experienced a couple of nuisances, like for example
> you can't open a project after you have worked on another without first
> closing Ardour and restarting it, but since Ardour loads in about 5
> seconds it's not a big deal. I have experienced two real crashes
> yesterday, one where Ardour&Jack (dunno which one) caused the whole
> X-window session to freeze for a few minutes and then suddenly returned
> me to a text login screen, but Jack, envy24, etc., kept running. Second
> time was working on the same song, similar situation, and Ardour seemed
> to get into some kind of infinite loop and CTRL+ALT+BKSP killed fluxbox
> but only after about 5 minutes of waiting. Seems to be if I do things
> too fast, things get funky. The better I get at using Ardour, the more
> often I upset it.
>
> So far I haven't gotten into fades or detailed editing, but will
> probably begin getting serious about editing later this week. I have not
> really used effects much because I can't really figure out the busses
> yet but I just need a touch of reverb occasionally and delay &
> compressor plugins per-track at this point to continue tracking. Once I
> get serious about mixing then I will have to get serious about effects
> routing/bussing etc. and will probably try the version of Ardour that
> supports vst so I can use blockfish and freeverb. I haven't been able to
> figure out how to use submix groups either but it's just because I
> haven't committed a lot of time to it.

Just a word to the wise; If you are in full creativity mode and don't
want to spend a bunch of time fiddling with software installs, I'd hang
on the vst thing for a bit. Freeverb is available in the CMT LADSPA
plugin set and works very well. I use it more than any other reverb. If
you add TAP, SWH and the multitude of other LADSPA plugins out there,
you will have a suite of comprehensive _workhorse_ effects. SOme good
compressors, eq's, reverb and delay's and a few other fancy bit's and
pieces.

I have been thru the mill on the vst thing. I finally got it to work but
it has it's issues and _can_ take a LOT of time to get working.

If you can't live without vst support, be sure to go with the version of
wine on Kjetil's site. I could not get other versions to work and from
all reports jack_fst, vsti and vstserver are all VERY "wine" sensitive.

R~