[ardour-users] Recording line in with emu10k1, jackd, and ardour

art at infinitybox.net art at infinitybox.net
Fri Aug 20 09:21:41 PDT 2004

Ok I'm using a Sound Blaster, recording into the line in and I'm having a
little problem setting everything up. I've been using qjackctl to connect
xmms to ardour, and I'm able to record what xmms plays onto ardour quite
nicely. The problem I'm running into is when I connect the
alsa_pcm_capture_1 and the alsa_pcm_capture_2 to tracks in ardour, and
then connectthose tracks to alsa_pcm_playback_1 and alsa_pcm_playback_2.
In order to record, I have to toggle the record button.

The problem I'm running into is that the line in isn't completely
controlled by jack. I can't untoggle the record button in ardour and have
it stop sounding. I still hear it through my system mixer
(gnome-alsamixer). when I record from xmms, I can disconnect it in
qjackctl and it stops sounding. This isn't true with pcm_capture.

I don't know if this makes any sense I'm having a hard time describing
what I'm trying to do. basically line in sounds no matter what, I have to
go to my system mixer to mute it. Is there anyway to completely use jack
for all input/output, ie can it take over the sound card completely? It's
frustrating to have the line in stuff playing no matter how it's connected
in jack, and not be able to monitor it, the same way I do for other sound
sources (id hydrogen or xmms)

Art