[ardour-users] Problems recording through Jack

Them idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Aug 3 18:58:33 PDT 2004

Darcy Kahle wrote:

> What I am trying to do is record midi files created in Rosegarden as a wave
> file under Ardour. I have gotten it to the point where I have both apps
> launched at the same time, and I press play under Ardour, play starts under
> Rosegarden, and I hear the piece that I am trying to record. The only thing
> that gets recorded, is the heartbeat that Ardour generates. I know that I am
> doing something wrong. Either I have started Jack up incorrectly, I am not
> setting Ardour up to record properly, or Rosegarden is not playing through
> Jack. Or a combo of all three. I believe that the issue is with Ardour,
> because of the output I get when I launch it (below). Please note, that I
> launch Rosegarden through sudo first, then I launch ardour, also through
> sudo.

What are you using for your MIDI sounds?  In other words, what MIDI
device do you have configured in Rosegarden?  You need to have the audio
playback of what is coming from Rosegarden routed to the input of
Ardour.  If you use qjackctl, you should be able to visibly see how your
audio streams are being routed.  If you aren't using qjackctl, why not?
  It'll make your life a LOT easier.

Also, check on what the inputs are for your track in Ardour.  If they
aren't set for the correct inputs (which you can determine from
qjackctl), you will get an empty track.  This can especially be a
problem if your audio hrdware has multiple I/O connections (like some of
the higher end cards like those from M-Audio).  If Rosegarden is sending
MIDI to an external hardware module that is playing back to the inputs
of your soundcard, you will probably need to have your track input
connections on 1 and 2.

It's also recommended that you use a kernal with capabilities patched
into it, so you can use jackstart (qjackctl will use jackstart if it's
available) to run all of your jackified applications as a normal user
instead of as root.

-- Brett