[ardour-users] Problems recording through Jack

Darcy Kahle darcykahle at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 3 18:26:23 PDT 2004

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to be asking this.

I am running Rosegarden 4-0.9.8, Jack Audio Connection Kit 0.98.1, and
Ardour 0.9beta18.1 on White Box Linux 3.0. I have a Soundblaster Live! (not
OEM) and a Midiman Midisport 2x2 installed and working under Alsa 1.0.2.

When Rosegarden launches, it starts up Jack using the following command:

/usr/local/bin/jackd -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 -p 2048 -n 2

What I am trying to do is record midi files created in Rosegarden as a wave
file under Ardour. I have gotten it to the point where I have both apps
launched at the same time, and I press play under Ardour, play starts under
Rosegarden, and I hear the piece that I am trying to record. The only thing
that gets recorded, is the heartbeat that Ardour generates. I know that I am
doing something wrong. Either I have started Jack up incorrectly, I am not
setting Ardour up to record properly, or Rosegarden is not playing through
Jack. Or a combo of all three. I believe that the issue is with Ardour,
because of the output I get when I launch it (below). Please note, that I
launch Rosegarden through sudo first, then I launch ardour, also through
sudo.

Does anyone have any tips that could help me get this working? I have
reviewed many sites concerning this issue, and have not gotten very far. I
think that I am missing something small. Something that the manuals and
other howtos gloss over. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Darcy
----------------
$ sudo ardour
Ardour/GTK 0.524.0 running with libardour 0.823.0
ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: port device in use
ardour: [WARNING]: No MMC control (MIDI port "hw:0" not available)
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action
"edit-cursor-to-selection-start"ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown
action "edit-cursor-to-selection-end"
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action "set-mouse-mode-scrub"
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action "start-selection"
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action "finish-selection"
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action
"extend-selection-to-end-of-region"
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action
"extend-selection-to-start-of-region"
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action "duplicate-selection"
ardour: [ERROR]: KeyboardTarget: unknown action "split-region"
stopping peak file builder thread
stopping signal thread
Ardour is done. Come again. Have a nice day. Etc.