[ardour-users] Ardour not using available memory?

Scott Helmke scott at scotthelmke.com
Thu Apr 29 07:05:17 PDT 2004

Thanks to CCRMA I've finally gotten Ardour somewhat usable, but with some
frustrating limitations.  And still xruns, oy vey...

Anyway, I suspect things would improve a lot if I could:
1.  Lower CPU usage.  It's an Athlon 2600 or thereabouts, and with about 10
tracks recorded, 4 actually playing back, and a very few plugins (simple
compressor on 2-3 tracks, single parametric on 2 tracks, and Gverb on one
track) the CPU load is around 50%.
2.  Increase memory actually used.  I've got a full Gb, but top shows only
about half actually being used.  Ardour uses around 150Mb, and shows a lot
of disk activity even when I just jump back to the start of the song after a
playback.  It's definitely getting stuff back off disk even in playback.

-Scott

P.S. Audio card is Delta-44, and I'm recording at 44.1/16.
--
---- Scott Helmke ---- scott at scotthelmke.com ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
And you'll visualize not taking any chances