[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 6.0

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Sep 16 12:00:53 PDT 2017

We don't generally discuss or announce plans for "the next major version"
because we don't really work that way internally - that is to say, we don't
actually have our own "TO DO" list that describes 6.0

What can be said so far is:

    * there wil be changes that definitely break session compatibility
(i.e. Ardour 5.x will not be able to load an Ardour 6.x session; the
opposite will generally work)
    * there will be some very fundamental changes in the code that manages
time, tempo and automation
    * disk I/O and monitoring will be handled quite differently (though a
user may choose to not care at all)
    * there will be some features to support a more "groove-centric"
workflow

But as to the basic question "what is planned for 6.0?", we will just have
to wait and see.