[Ardour-Dev] Development Summary (5.8..ba24f287ca)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu May 4 13:58:25 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 10:04:59PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> The settling time for a filter with a bandwidth of 0.1 Hz is in the
> order of 10s.  The existing filter state only represents about 1 second
> of information.

The 0.1 here is a relative bandwidth, so something around 100 Hz.

> > should be. In other words, instead of say 0.1 W, your amplifier will
> > produce 1 kW, assuming it has that power. Mine will clip at 400 W,
> > still more than enough to fry the speakers.
> >
> > If this is representative of the quality of the a-*** plugins (by 'the
> > Ardour Team') then I wonder what to expect next.
>
> The mathematical problem as such is ill-posed when changing filter
> parameters

Only if you use the wrong filter topology to start with.

> I suspect that you'd be qualified enough to fix this yourself

No need to, I do have EQs that can be used safely.

> in return for some care on Aeolus (like applying patches and
> answering mail).

I *do* normally answer mail. What do you refer to ?

>  Is the a-EQ the only filter you would want to see sanitized?

It's by no means the only one apparently written by naively
implementing some textbook equation without understanding it.
This is also the sort of problem that will show up immediately.
In other words there's no excuse for such crap.

Ciao,

--
FA