[Ardour-Dev] Development Summary (5.8..ba24f287ca)

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Wed May 3 10:42:09 PDT 2017

Ahoi dear Ardour developers,

as usual every conceivable kudos for improving this already awesome tool
at breakneck speed! I haven't been active on the list lately, but Ardour
remains the backbone of my work setup.

Thanks Tim for the preview, I have a few comments:

On 05/01/2017 09:18 AM, Tim Mayberry wrote:

> # General
>
> - Prevent adding Master Bus to a Track/bus group and make group button
>   insensitive.

I noticed that recently, and I think it's unfortunate. There's a hundred
and one reason to gang output faders. Best example would be a 5-channel
master for sane surround panning, and an LFE output bus.

I tend to abuse Ardour for quite a few theatre-related things, and you
end up with all kinds of odd routings, usually one output bus per extra
loudspeaker. My current approach is to not use the master bus at all,
but since it always sits there, consuming resources and screen space,
that feels a bit unsatisfying.

> - Use Shift key to enable group when moving Fader with group disabled.

Sorry to have to ask, but is the inverse also possible? Because that is
the standard usecase. I know I want my drum tracks to gang, but then I
realise the hihat is too soft, so <mod>-click and correct.
Having the "turn group on temporary" modifier seems a bit pointless to me.

> - Add preference to disable blinking of alert buttons.
<3

All best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net