[Ardour-Dev] let's talk about MIDI regions

nick mainsbridge mainsbridge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 07:17:02 PST 2017

i would like to add:

pro-regions:
 - the audio/midi similarity extends to recording also
   e.g. ad hoc take management is simple (mute the last take of simultaneous
   audio + midi recording and go again)
 - lock to audio / music is al least partially possible
 - regions may be positioned at sample resolution
 - most anti-region arguments look like decisions that are yet to be made.
 - solving 'MIDI CC data ("automation") always needs a region' seems easier
   than removing complexity (are we overwhelmed by this?).

anti-regions
 - regions are difficult to get right.