[Ardour-Dev] let's talk about MIDI regions

Eddy StEsprit edwsaintesprit at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 3 16:48:37 PST 2017

One idea would be that every "empty" midi track gets a default, undeletable background region that is infinite in length (or at least, spans the whole session, time-wise,and resizes itself when the start/end markers are moved).

That would:

1) make midi editing less disturbing for new users (no need to create a region first)

2) keep all the good aspects of region editing (linked regions, etc...) as new regions could still be overlaid over the "background" region

Recording while on "edit" mode could rewrite the content of the active region, and create a new region outside edit mode. Or, the MIDI tracks could have (like audio ones) their record mode set to Normal/Tape/Non layered. Or simply (but disruptively) create a switch in the track header "destroy/overlay". Or create a secondary rec-arm that is a "rec destructively".

It may solve the cons you mentionned, but not the illegal overlapping notes... But we keep the consistency between audio and midi AND full compatibility with previous Ardour versions.

Regards,

Headwar