[Ardour-Dev] Feedback on string-convert branch

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 06:33:17 PST 2017

On 09/01/2017 13:18, Paul Davis wrote:

> From where I sit (or stand), the answer to this question seems to be
> "no". If that's our final answer, we should merge.

Just a small reminder to Tim that in string_convert.h, these lines
failed to compile with MSVC:-

       T::TO_STRING_TEMPLATE_NOT_DEFINED_FOR_THIS_TYPE;
       T::STRING_TO_TEMPLATE_NOT_DEFINED_FOR_THIS_TYPE;

I can comment the lines out - but since the intention was to prevent
those functions from getting instantiated, I figured it might be
possible just to remove their declarations.  However, that introduced
other problems, particularly with the DEFINE_ENUM_CONVERT macro (so
maybe in fact they _are_ getting instantiated somehow??)  I haven't had
time to dig deeply into this but maybe there's some other technique we
could use.?

John