[Ardour-Dev] Feedback on string-convert branch

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 02:48:59 PST 2017

On 05/01/2017 14:36, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Some plugins expect to also *run* in the "C" or en_US locale.
> e.g. NI Kontakt fails in numeric-locales that use a comma, and
> NI isn't alone.
>

> If we add a custom system, I think it's better to
>
>   - don't change the locale at all, keep using the default "C" locale for
> C++/std::locale
>
>   - keep relying on standard functions for string-conversion
>
> and instead
>
>   - come up with a custom message-translation system that does not depend
> on the std::locale at the time the message is formatted.

Is this predominantly a Windows problem or do the other OS's also suffer
from it?

I only realised yesterday that on Windows, it seems to be possible for
different threads (within the same application) to use different locale
settings.  I haven't tested it in earnest but see the example at the
bottom of this page:-

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x99tb11d.aspx

Would that help at all?

John