[Ardour-Dev] Feedback on string-convert branch

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jan 6 01:20:06 PST 2017

I've read through Tim's email descrption of string-convert and taken a
quick look at the code.

There's a lot of good work here that I think has many net benefits.

My concern is that the changes are not enough to ensure that locale issues
are fully addressed without using locale (either because of 3rd party code
or local coding changes). If they don't ensure this, then it just comes
down to whether there are any direct costs to switching to the
string-convert approach AND whether it is an improvement to have *two*
systems of ensuring locale-independent serialization, one explicit and one
implicit.

I am not totally clear on the answers to these two questions.

--p