[Ardour-Dev] Feedback on string-convert branch

Tim Mayberry mojofunk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 05:52:51 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
wrote:

> I've read through Tim's email descrption of string-convert and taken a
> quick look at the code.
>
> There's a lot of good work here that I think has many net benefits.
>
> My concern is that the changes are not enough to ensure that locale issues
> are fully addressed without using locale (either because of 3rd party code
> or local coding changes).

I'm sorry, I just don't understand what you mean by this sentence, can you
please explain in a bit more detail.

Do you have concerns with pbd/string_convert.h API and whether or not it is
independent of the global locale/s and or thread safe etc? or do you mean
something else?

> If they don't ensure this, then it just comes down to whether there are
> any direct costs to switching to the string-convert approach AND whether it
> is an improvement to have *two* systems of ensuring locale-independent
> serialization, one explicit and one implicit.

What sort of direct costs are you referring to?

When you refer to having *two* systems do you mean mixing use of the new
API's and the existing system of using LocaleGuards and then performing
explicit numeric conversion with a mix of the existing API's we use?

I can't see how that would be an improvement, that would mean using at
least 4 different API's and you would not get much benefit AFAICT and it
may be worse. I'm suggesting only using a single API(mostly) for
serialization and the others for localization (which seems pretty common
and normal to me).

> I am not totally clear on the answers to these two questions.

Sorry, perhaps I'm just tired as it is late here but I'm not clear on what
the questions were?

Tim