[Ardour-Dev] Feedback on string-convert branch

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jan 5 09:16:55 PST 2017

On 01/05/2017 04:55 PM, John Emmas wrote:
> On 05/01/2017 14:24, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> Since I don't know the MSVC build-environment and build-dependencies
>> used there a quick-solution would be an #ifndef COMPILER_MSVC
>>
> Yeah, I guess that should help - but does this effectively mean that
> translations / internationalization etc won't work any more for an MSVC
> build?

Depends on the preference setting.  There is a new mode to only set
LC_MESSAGES and leave the rest of the locale alone (to investigate
issues with plugins, see the other branch in this email thread)

It needs to be explicitly enabled in Preferences > Global > Translations
The default hasn't changed and Ardour still sets LC_ALL. So there should
be no change WRT to translations compared to prior MSVC builds.

Since gettext() chooses the translation based on LC_MESSAGES [1], I'm
curious how this works with MSVC builds if there's no LC_MESSAGES.

ciao,
robin

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Using-gettextized-software.html