[Ardour-Dev] Bad visual feedback for KORG nanoKONTROL 2

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Aug 27 10:15:45 PDT 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> There will be ever new control devices in years to come.  Having to
> recompile for every single one of them is not a desirable feature, so
> the question is what the best way to change that would be.

​I don't see things this way, sorry. I have no interest or desire to make
it possible for people to write control surface support in a non-compiled
lanuage, although that is already possible theoretically using lua.

If you look at Reaper and Bitwig, they have control surface support
implemented in various non-compiled languages (Javascript for Bitwig), and
I don't think it really has a dramatic impact on their control surface
support. To the extent that it does, it also creates a divide between
developers willing and able to work on the compiled aspects of surface
support and the scripted parts, which has its own set of downsides.​

If someone really believes that they can refactor the existing control
surface support, integrate it with a scripted/non-compiled language, and
then implement new surface support with the result: prove me wrong. Untiil
then, it just isn't a high priority item to bridge the gap between "i'm
willing to write software as long as i don't have to compile" and "i'm
willing to compile ardour".
​