[Ardour-Dev] option to Disable pop sound at Startup?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Wed Aug 2 07:17:14 PDT 2017

On 08/02/2017 03:00 AM, Ben Simons wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>

> Thx for your reply. Apologies. I thought the "On Land" gentoo
>
> line was sufficient. Does the pop-sound depend on the platform?
>
> Oh! Is the pop indicating an error?
>

> Ardour5 runs on a couple of machines here,
>
> all up-to-date gentoo linux, running
>

>    ALSA <- JACK <- PULSE_AUDIO
>

> Jack is started with qjackctl, which in turn starts pulseaudio
>
> such that it feeds back into jack. Took a while to get right.
>
> Seems to be okay (famous last words) ;)
>

> qjackqtl has post-startup commands to pactl load-module jack-sink. ie.
>

> pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=22; \
>
> pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=22; \
>
> pacmd set-default-sink jack_out; pacmd set-default-source jack_in
>

> The main system is connected by USB to an RME Fireface UFX (22chan)
>
> It runs in USB CC Mode. http://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=16845
>

> Further RME details (lsusb and pactl) are attached in textfiles.
>

> Another has an Asus Xonar DG PCI uses the CMI8786 chipset
>
> and will be recognized by the kernel in the following way:
>

> % lspci -v | grep -A7 -i audio
>
> 84:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788
> [Oxygen HD Audio]
>          Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8521
>          Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11 I/O ports
> at f000 [size=256]
>          Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
>
> The kernel module snd-oxygen is used to control the card.
>

> Both systems make a pop-sound when Ardour5 starts.

It's very unlikely that Ardour is to blame for that sound...
You are starting jack before Ardour, with qjackctl? I'm asking because
some interfaces behave badly when they come up (I've seen that with a
few fireware-based ones), but it's strange you're seeing this both with
a pro RME device _and_ a CMI chip.
What could happen is that you are using a session with a badly behaved
plugin. Something that emits a constant DC signal comes to mind -
inaudible during normal operation, but will cause a pop when you connect it.
Or does it happen with a new, empty Ardour session as well?

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net