[Ardour-Dev] MIDI input follows selection

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Oct 21 13:40:42 PDT 2016

I've just finished committing the first pass at providing "MIDI input
follows selection" for Ardour.

This is enabled/disabled by an option in Preferences > MIDI > Ports

Any MIDI port flagged as "follow selection" will be automatically
connected/disconnected to the first selected MIDI track as that track
changes. You can flag more than one MIDI port (e.g. a keyboard and a
DrumKat).

The changes also allow you to use the same Preferences item to determine
whether a MIDI port is for musical performance, control data, or both. If a
port is not flagged for music, it will NOT be used when auto-connecting
MIDI track inputs. This allows you to avoid having that MIDI control
surface used as if it was a MIDI keyboard, etc.

I haven't had much of a chance to actually test how my logic for this works
in many real world scenarios, so I'd appreciate feedback on what I got
right, almost right and clearly wrong.

Nightly builds will have this feature starting tonight (parts of it have
already been visible, but it was not "finished" until today).