[Ardour-Dev] lua bindings - midi region create

Nathan Stewart therealnathanstewart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 11:02:37 PDT 2016

I took a look at the _vamp_audio_to_midi lua script, and had some questions:

1) We don't currently have bindings for creating midi regions (or audio?) I
can't bind the constructor, but what should be exported?
2) The function expects one audio region and one midi region. We currently
can't select dissimilar types - so you can't for instance select an audio
region and a MIDI track. That would be one way to select the desired audio
region, and provide a destination for the MIDI region created.  If we
select an audio track (so that we can select the MIDI track for the
destination), we don't have a way to restrict the conversion to specific
regions.  Given the two current options, I think selecting regions and
creating a new track for them to go to would be the most desirable solution.
3) If we expect the output region to exist, it's currently
difficult to (impossible? I haven't yet figured out how, seeing indications
you can't) create an empty region in a MIDI track with no content.