[Ardour-Dev] OSC middleware - was:gain-mapping

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue May 24 11:46:07 PDT 2016

On 05/24/2016 08:22 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 05/24/2016 08:11 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I'd much prefer that we just make it simple (enough)  to do this sort
>> of thing without middleware, but with some builtin mapping syntax and code.
>> It could potentially be done via a loaded .so that uses a very simple API,
>> something along the lines of
>>
>>                       std::string translate_osc_message (std::string const&);
>>
>> but really it seeems to me to be doable via looking at some definition in a
>> file (vaguely xslt-ish, i suppose)

Incidentally, I have Michael Kay's XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 reference
manuals (I was young and foolish and loved angle brackets then). They
are free for the taking for anyone who can make it to Essen (and bring a
biiiig sack). Coffee or beer included in the offer.

That is strictly not an encouragement to use it to solve this particular
problem. I do confess I have sometimes resorted to XSLTs to work around
missing Ardour features by doing unspeakable things to session files,
but I will concede it has Not Generally been A Good Idea(tm).

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net