[Ardour-Dev] OSC next

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri May 13 02:26:49 PDT 2016

On 05/13/2016 12:38 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> Quick question for those interested.
>
> Right now I have 4 different kinds of fader control (route gain):
> absolute gain,
> gain in dB,
> fader position and
> fader position as an uint.
>
> Right now these are all separate commands:
>
> /strip/gainabs
> /strip/gaindB
> /strip/fader
> /strip/fader1024
>
> If the GUI fader is changed, the same message is sent back to the
> control surface with the new value as well so that motor faders,
> encoders or remote GUIs can track GUI changes. However, the surface
> needs to know fader (and other) positions before the user tries to
> change the control or Ardours value will jump to where the surface's
> fader is. So there is a new /set_surface command that sets some
> variables for each surface in use. If that surface has feedback turned
> on, the current values will be sent to the surface. One of the values
> sent with the /set_surface command is the fader math to use. As such
> ardour already knows what math to use and could be just using
> /strip/gain for all four of the above. The only advantage for keeping
> all of the commands is for backwards compatability.
>
> So my question is: should I keep all four messages intact or just use
> the one /strip/gain? (this would also impact /master/gain and
> /monitor/gain which I am working on now)

can't comment on whether to retain all, but if only one remains, it
should be about physical fader position, not gain. it should be up to
the DAW to decide what a fader position means, and the controller's job
is just to mimic the GUI fader.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net