[Ardour-Dev] Banking on a surface

Melanie Bernkopf melaniebernkopf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 11:42:10 PDT 2016

Sorry but with some mentions you are not right.

default full ethernet is 1518 = 1514 ethernet2 header +4 bytes checksum
GRE tunnel MTU is 1476 = 1500 - (20 bytes IP header + 4 bytes GRE Header) (
similar to ADSL in Europe)
MPLS 1492 if not configured

Next thing is if going over the inet it also makes a difference if using
Juniper or Cisco which can badly affect the performance of the network
segmentation of packages will be the result. This can also force the
computer to do discovery of max_package_size where it sends normal data
while trying to determine how big the packages can be ( as you might guess
not good for fast streams).

The actual BGP protocol is adding to the MTU of 1518 another 8bytes filling
the missing bytes with zero to make parsing faster( here we Talk 40G to 80G
switching between AS).

I would not want to send something as OSC over the inet so we stay with the
normal ethernet2 spec on a local Network ;)

With nics you have to differentiate a bit more. Yes the Linux kernel is
able to do very fast networking myself running Servers at work that do 4G
networking and some systems with even 40G. But that is far from standard
and needs heavy modification of MII and GMII between CPU and phys_ether IC
( that`s the part of the network card where it goes to the Ethernet slot in
the back of the PC for those unknown to this and reading it). Wont do  deep
dive into this except to say it is OSI layer 1 ;)

In the end to get the Fastest ethernet performance possible with standard
setting is to stay below the MTU of ethernet and ADSL and the like meaning
packages should not be bigger than 1476 bytes to prevent segmentation which
slows down and is well in the range of all possibilities if uncertain it is
usually the best to stay with the defaults.