[Ardour-Dev] thunderbolt plans

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 20:22:42 PST 2016

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 08:28:29 AM Paul Davis wrote:
> Thunderbolt is basically dead, since it has not been adopted by anyone
> except Apple. USB3 has won, for most things.

I believe that will start changing quickly now that the Alpine Ridge
controller for the Skylake controller. With the newer USB-C interface, the
same controller chip for the USB-3.1 is the same controller chip for the
thunderbolt 3 since they will both share the same physical interface (along
with display-port).

The main reason most motherboard manufactures wouldn’t support it was that it
required extra controller chips and bus interconnects. Except on high end
systems there was not enough demand for it. Now a dedicated chip is not needed
since it’s all in one. So demand and extra cost should no longer be a limiting
factor in the PC market

-Reuben.