[Ardour-Dev] Windows release

Tim Mayberry mojofunk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 04:56:57 PST 2016

Hi David,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM, David Stephen Grant <david at davidgrant.no>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm currently using the nightly builds of Ardour on Windows 10, and really
> enjoying working in this software. Jack transport sync with MuseScore
> and xjadeo is great, and I'm approaching the point where I can leave my
> previous setup of Cubase / Sibelius behind for good, so thank you all!

There is not a lot of direct feedback on the Windows nightly builds so it
is good to hear that Ardour on Windows is working well for you. There has
been a fair bit of change introduced to the master branch in the last week,
so if you notice any issues please report them in the issue tracker.

There is also the #ardour-windows IRC channel on freenode.net that you can
use to get in touch with other people interested in Ardour on Windows, but
it is usually fairly quiet.

I don't know if there is any update on an official Windows release, but if
> I can help out in any way making this possible I would be very happy to do
> so. I cannot claim to be an expert, but I've been working in quite a wide
> range of software on Linux, OSX and Windows for a long time, so I'd be
> happy to help out with Windows specific documentation, tutorials, forum
> support etc. as far as time and my skills allow.
> Please get in touch if I can help out.
> All the best, and thanks again,
> davidsg

There has been no decision made on when an official Windows release of
Ardour will be available that I am aware of.

I have been using Ardour on Windows for several years now and it has been
gradually improving to the point that I think it is comparable in stability
to the linux release but there are issues with some Audio Hardware/Drivers,
plugins and likely a few Windows specific bugs.

Identifying Windows specific documentation and or tutorials you feel are
needed is a good first step. I believe contributions to the manual are also
welcome.

Until an official release of Ardour for Windows, your continued use of the
nightly builds and constructive feedback via email/issue tracker/IRC/etc
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim